Sunday, January 29, 2006

I Love E-Mart

During my time in Gumi, South Korea I came to love E-Mart. It is a huge department store much like Wal-Mart. It is the Korean version of Wal-Mart. It is where I first went grocery shopping. But as I explored I found it had a lot more to offer than just a good supermarket in the basement.

Food Court at E-Mart
I found a food court on the first floor. It had Chinese, Korean and Western food. It even had a McDonalds. I ate McDonalds for lunch and took this picture. I am amazed at the baby carriers they use in Korea. They are some sort of a quilted blanket with straps. It is wonderful in that I've seen mother's use it as a blanket to cover their child when they take them off their back.
[E-Mart Food Court, Gumi, South Korea, February 2003]

Funky Hairdrier

I found a Hair Salon on the third floor of the E-Mart. It had the coolest looking hairdryers I've ever seen. Or at least I think they are hairdryers. I can't imagine what else they could be. [E-Mart, Gumi, South Korea, February 2003]

Old-Fashioned Perm Machine

I had seen this type of perm machine in a Hairdressing School window used as a display years ago in Halifax, Nova Scotia but I had never seen one used in real life. I took this picture and tried to stay and watch for a few minutes to see the procedure but as the only foreigner in the E-Mart I was attracting too much attention so I had to quickly move on. [E-Mart, Gumi, South Korea, February 2003]

Flowered Toilet Seat
Flowered Toilet Seat

I hope I don't seem obsessed with bathrooms and toilets but with my problems using squat toilets and having to always remember to bring my own toilet tissue I was so amazed and pleased to see these beautiful toilets with dried flowers imbedded in the plastic of the seat. The bathrooms at E-Mart are clean and bright with western style toilets and plenty of free tissue. A few years ago when I first arrived in Korea a friend showed me a web blog written by a teacher in Seoul and the whole premise of her blog was a bet between her and her friends on rather she could spend a whole year in Korea without ever having to use a squat toilet. Every week she would update her blog. When I read it she was about 6 months into her stay in Korea and she yet had to use a squat toilet. I wish I had written down the web address I would love to see if she actually won the bet. It was most amusing and hopefully it helps illustrates my point of how important something like a bathroom can become when you are experiencing culture shock and NOTHING is like home. [E-Mart, Gumi, South Korea, February 2003]

Squid For Sale

A visit to E-Mart is not complete without going to the supermarket to check out the interesting food and to buy some groceries for home. I saw this it looks like squid. I might actually have tried it if I could have figured out how to cook it. [E-Mart, Gumi, South Korea, February 2003]


Some Kind Of Bacon
This appears to be bacon. I buy a package of it and some eggs and take it home to make a Sunday brunch. It was excellent. The stone statutes are traditional in Korea. They are usually very big and outside. I have been told they are especially popular on Jeju Island. I think they are called Har-a-bong. I believe that is the Jeju dialect for Har-a-budge-i which in English is "Grandfather". [E-Mart, Gumi, South Korea, February 2003]

*********************************************************

So with clothing, hairdressing shops, a food court, a supermarket, and clean bright washrooms E-Mart has something for everyone. I always found almost everything I needed there.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way to link to flickr photos is called a "badge". To create your own go to flickr and sign in. Go to the very bottom of the page and at bottom in tiny print it will read "sitemap". Double click that buttom. Then it opens a new page. At the top it says "You". Under you the last listing is "Add a flickr badge to your website" just click this link and follow the instuctions.

    It's not that hard to do - I learned all my technology while I was blogging.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete