Sunday, January 15, 2006

My Arrival in Gumi, South Korea

Friday, January, 24th, 2003 - Close to Midnight

Well, my long day was getting longer. But at least I had finally arrived at my final destination of Gumi, South Korea. After much waiting and confusion I eventually was picked up at the airport by two Korean men (only one of who actually spoke to me). After having to practically run after them to the school van (I was tired, upset and angry, so I didn't run ... I did walk very fast, though). I thought the worst was over.

Not so. We started driving and about 3 blocks down the road the two Korean men seemed to be having a heated discussion (I had no idea about what). It was around 10:30 pm on a Friday night. Eventually, "Tony" told me that we were running out of gas. So, we were driving around looking for a gas station that was still open. Did I mention it was snowing, too? Well it was... things were not exactly going the way I had hoped.

Tony & His Great SmileThis is a picture of "Tony". He was so nice and kind to me. He is always smiling. It was Tony who translated for me and told me that we were running out of gas in the school van.


In the middle of driving around looking for a gas station Mr. Kim's cellphone rang and it was "Jamie" my Canadian Recruiter. He was checking up on me. He had promised my parents that he would call and make sure I landed okay and then link the call to them so that they would know that I had arrived safely. He told me he had called earlier but Mr. Kim had told him that my "plane was delayed". I told Jamie, "No not exactly. It was the reverse". I meant that I wasn't delayed but the people who were supposed to pick me up had been. But either Jamie didn't understand my cryptic statement or didn't want to. I wanted him to know the truth but not if it made me look bad or bitchy to my employeers. So, I let it go.

Eventually, we found a gas station (or should I say "Oil Bank") that was open and we got some fuel. So, we continued on our way. I was starving and they took me to a restaurant. Tony asked me, "Do you like spicy food?" Luckily, I knew from Korean friends I had tutored in Canada to say "No". So Tony ordered me Sam Gae Tang which is a whole chicken stuffed with rice and served with ginseng and broth in a soup. It was delicious! I was grateful when the meal was over and we left Daegu to drive to Gumi and I could finally get some sleep.

I found out that the man who didn't/wouldn't speak to me was named Mr. Kim. I was taken to an apartment that the Canadian Teacher, "Lucy", who I was to replace lived. What I didn't know was that Lucy had been living at the Camp where she was teaching. This was in January - prior to the Lunar New Year and the kids were on vacation so it was "English Camp" time. The reason this is important is [that although it gave me a place to sleep in Lucy's bed] since she hadn't been living in the apartment in more than one month the heat had been turned off to Lucy's room. It was so cold I could see my breath in the room. Not only that but I would be sharing the two bedroom apartment with Ms. Park a Chinese Teacher. She didn't speak ANY English and I spoke No Chinese.

Ms. Park - My Chinese Roommate
Ms. Park in our Gumi Apartment livingroom. With a Korean/English Dictionary and much gesturing she and I would not only be able to communicate but would become good friends.


I hate to admit it but I guess it had all gotten to me. The tiredness, the coldness of the room, a roomate I couldn't communicate with, and the general feeling of disorganization (no one to meet me at the airport, running out of gas, no heat in the room, etc.) I did not feel very welcome in my new "home". After Tony and Mr. Kim left I turned down the blankets on the bed and saw they were dirty. I didn't want to sleep in someone else's dirty bed. But it was so cold and I was so tired that I did. I crawled into bed wearing sweatpants, a turtle-neck, a sweatshirt and even a hat on my head. I cried myself to sleep that first night. Hopefully tomorrow would be a better day....

My Bedroom in Gumi

My bedroom in Gumi, South Korea - after I had bought new bedding and got my mom to send me sheets from Canada - since I couldn't find any to buy in Korea at ANY price. It would be home to me for more than four months.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your travelogue...look forward to reading more of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your job sounds very much like one I used to have. It was in Gumi also, pretty sure the same employer although you did not say the name. It was a horrible experience. I left that job a lot earlier than planned. I decided that if I was only staying in Asia for a couple of years that I was going to make sure I enjoyed it. There are better jobs out there.

    ReplyDelete