Sunday, March 12, 2006

Field Trip to Gyeongju

I got a chance to go with my LG Learning Center Class to Gyeongju, South Korea. For those of you who don't know Gyeongju is a very historic site. It was the seat of the Silla Dynasty from the 4th to the 10th century. It is a World Heritage Site because it contains "monuments of exceptional significance in the development of Buddhist and secular architecture in Korea" [quote by UNESCO my last link]. It has the Pulguksa [some people spell it with a "B" making it Bulguksa] Temple and a National Museum. It is located in the southeast of Gyeongsangbuk-do (a province in South Korea). It took about an hour and a half to get there by bus from Gumi.

For more information on Gyeongju check out the following sites.


  • French Brochure for Gyeongju

    This is a brochure from the National Museum of Gyeongju. They didn't have any brochures left in English so I took a French Version. I knew at least I would understand 80% of the French pamphlet. I didn't expect to have to use my French in Korea. I guess it just goes to show you never know when something you've learned previously will come in handy.

    *******

    I didn't have a digital camera at the time I visited Gyeongju but I did take some photos and I've scanned them into my computer. Here they are:

    Gates of Gyeongju

    These are the gates to Gyeongju. You can see the parking lot just beyond the gates.

    3 Stone Statutes

    Here is a picture of 3 statutes. I love the stone statutes that seem to be located at every historical site in Korea.


    Me in front of Stone Statute

    This is a picture of me in front of one of the statutes at Gyeongju.

    Buddah Statute

    This is a picture of a Buddha Statute.

    Silla Crown

    This is the Shilla Crown.

    Head-less StatuteHere is a head-less stone statute.

    Stone PillarThis is some kind of stone pillar.

    Stone TempleThis is a stone temple of some sort.

    Close-up of Stone Temple

    This is a closer view of the same temple.

    My Favorite Picture - A Water Stained Statute

    This is my favorite picture from Gyeongju. I wanted to save the best for last.

    The only thing that I didn't like about my day at Gyeongju was that it rained very hard. You can see the water-stains on the stone statutes and in my second from last picture you can see how shiny the ground is because of all the rain. The rain made it harder to look around and really see ALL there was to see.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment