Sunday, June 18, 2006

Geumgang Park, Busan

I recently went to Geumgang Park in Busan, South Korea. To get there my friend "Ray" and I took the subway to Oncheon-jang [subway stop # 127]. Then we walked for about 10 minutes to find the entrance to the park. There didn't seem to be any signs that I could see but luckily "Ray" had been their before and remembered the way so I just followed him.

Ray at Game of Chance

On the way to the park there are dozens of booths set up where you can try your luck at games of chance and try and win a prize. This is a picture of "Ray" at one of the booths where he won a shell keychain which he gave to me.

Shell Keychain Prize


Here is the shell keychain that I have as a remembrance of our day at the park.

Display at Park Enterance

At the entrance of the park is a display. This is a picture of part of the display.

Thatched Roof Hut


This is a close-up picture of a thatched roof house.

Water Wheel

Part of the display is a wooden water wheel.

Also, in this display part of the park there are some Korean men working there who are dressed in traditional Korean clothes. Unfortunately, I can't understand the signs [just when I think my Korean is improving, boo, hoo.] So, I am left to guess that the display is but it seems to show the way Koreans lived in the past. Sort of a "historic village display" or at least it seems that way to me.

Walking into the park we see a large sign advertising a "Rope-way" which means a cable car that will take us to the top of the mountain.

Sign Showing the Cable Car


This sign shows the way to the "Rope-way" but in Korean it says "Ka-oi-bul-ca" or the way we would pronounce it "Cable Car". We decided it looked like fun and a great picture taking opportunity and, also, we [me especially] were feeling lazy. Let me tell you a cable car is the easy and fast way to get to the top of the mountain.

For about 5,000 won [a little over $ 5.00 Canadian Dollars] we got a ticket to take the cable car up the mountain [and back down again]. The view was breathtaking! However, I have to admit that I was a little surprised [and not pleasantly] by the smog. The haze you see in the background hanging over the picture is not heat waves it is smog. In fact, it was cold enough up the mountain that I wore a jacket and was glad for its warmth.

Cable Car

Here is a picture of a cable car coming up the mountain and the city of Busan spread out in the distance.

Forest and Busan City
Going down the mountain I was by the window and was able to take this shot of the side of the mountain and the city of Busan. I like the contrast between the nature and the cityscape.


Looking Straight Down the Mountain

Here is another picture I took from the cable car. I tried a dramatic shot looking straight down the mountain. Not such a great idea since I am afraid of heights. Yipees!

Pound a Monster Game

On the way down the mountain after we get off the cable car there are some games. This game was a "pound a monster" kind of game. I wish I had one at home. It is fun and a good way to get rid of frustrations at the end of a hard day teaching school.

Merry-go-round

There are, also, rides for the kids. Here are some Korean kids enjoying a Merry-Go-Round. I guess some games and rides are universal in appeal.

***

It was such a nice day and it is amazing that it takes only about 20 to 30 minutes to get to this park. It's right in the middle of the city and accessible by public transportation. I definately want to go back and since there seemed to be a cool breeze it will be a nice place to visit even on a hot summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment