Sunday, October 01, 2006

Chulsok 추석

The eve of Chulsok 추석 [the Korean Thanksgiving Holiday] is upon us. This time of year gets very hectic and busy for nearly everyone. I am amazed at the shopping and expense that go into the holiday preparations. For example, nearly every company gives each of their employees a gift set as a Chulsok present. In fact, I got a lovely, gift set that included Rice Day shampoo, hair conditioner, body wash, bars of soap and toothpaste.

Even after over three years in Korea I am still amazed by the cultural differences. For one thing gifts here are not individualized but sets that come already prepared and the same thing is given to everyone regardless of age or gender. I guess I'm still used to gifts being painstakingly chosen for each individual on my list according to hobby or personal interest. Moreover, if you were to give someone back home in North America bars of soap or toothpaste for a gift it would seem like you were telling them they were smelly or dirty and they'd better use this. I love my gift set, now that I am now used to the idea of getting personal care items, and it is a very practical gift.


Here is a picture I took at Mega Mart a large department store near my home of some of the gift sets. These ones include bars of soap and toothpaste.

Another cultural difference can be seen in the Korean love of SPAM. And, no I don't mean junk e-mail [ha, ha]. I mean the canned luncheon meat. The Koreans love it and give it to one another in gift sets. They even go so far as to consider it a "luxury" item. My friend "Ray" has told me that it is only in Asian countries where there is a history of US Military involvement or presence that Spam is considered a delicacy.



This is a picture of a gift set of Spam. Back in North America we consider Spam a food that you eat when you're poor or running low on cash just before payday but at over $ 32.00 for this gift set here Spam isn't exactly cheap.

"Ray" and I talked about the Korean love of Spam tonight and in taking about it he found this article about Spam being considered a desirable gift set item. Here's the link. (Thank you- "Ray".)

  • Watercooler Story on Spam


  • Also, Wipipedia has an article about Spam that tells about the link between its popularity and countries with a US Military history. Here's the link to that.

  • Wipipedia Article on Spam




  • In case, I forgot just what an important occasion Chulsok is I would soon be reminded when I saw the sales clerks in the supermarket in their beautiful Hanboks 한복 [traditional Korean clothing].




    Here is another picture of a Hanbok. This is one as seen from the back with the intricate embroidery on it.



    There are, also, tuna gift sets [which although cheaper by half than the Spam gift sets] we foreigners seem to enjoy and appreciate more.



    This lovely sales clerk was kind enough to pose for a picture near the gift sets.



    I noticed these Korean cookies and snack sets and wanted to take a picture of them especially when I saw a box just above them wrapped in the cloth that older Korean women routinely use to carry their packages. I guess it is much more durable than a plastic bag and much better for the environment in the long run and gosh darn it sure looks pretty, too.



    I would be remiss if I didn't mention the gift sets of Korean liquor. I believe this is a traditional rice wine since the label on the bottle says 법주 [bab ju] and "bab" is the Korean word for rice and "ju" is the word for any type of alcohol in Korean.



    Last but not least the most expensive gift for Chulsok would be these boxes of Korean Ginseng. 인삼 [in sam]. Ginseng is considered a health food and is highly desired and the price is reflective of that. The most expensive box of ginseng I saw was priced at over $ 178.00 dollars. W0w!

    ***
    Well that's my post for this week. On Tuesday I am off to Taiwan with my friend "Ray". I can't wait. Yipee! I will be away for more than 6 days so I will not be posting an article next weekend. However, I promise to take tons of pictures in Taiwan and I'll write about my trip and post tons of pictures sometime the following weekend [October 14th to 15th].

    Thank you to everyone who gave me advice about places to go and things to see in Taiwan.

    1 comment:

    1. isn't it supposed to be CHUSEOK? not chuLsok??? just curious... that's what the korean spelling translates to... :)

      ReplyDelete