Sunday, August 27, 2006

Another Busan Beach

Haeundae Beach is the most famous and therefore the most crowded in Busan. About a week or so ago I had a couple of days off so I grabbed my Busan Tourist Map and decided to go exploring. In my tourist map there is a great picture of Songjeong Beach and a write up on it. It says, "Citizens can take a rest at the white sandy beach formed with sands and shells carried from the Songjeong Stream and at the pine tree woods, where seawater and fresh water converge, thereby providing a good fishing place."

Also, I had read that Songjeong beach is not as crowded as Haeundae Beach and that appealed to me. So, I set off to discover Songjeong Beach, [송정] or as it is sometimes called in Korean Songjeong Hae-su Yok Jang [송정 해수욕장] which translates into Songjeong Swimming Beach, for myself.


The first thing I saw was a pagoda off to the left-hand side of the beach. There are a lot of rocks in this area but a few people seemed to prefer the rocks to the crowded sandy beach located on the right-hand side.



A picture of the more crowded sandy part of the beach.



This is a closer look at the pagoda located in back of the pine forest. It has a good view looking out to sea.



My friend snapped this picture of me despite my protests.


An interesting feature of this beach was that the lifeguard chair was set out in the water marking the area past which you are not allowed to swim. This is something I had never seen before either back home in Canada or here in Korea. Unfortunately, the limit was only waist-deep for me so that I couldn't really swim.


A took this picture from the beach looking over towards the left hand side of the beach and the pine woods. It shows the layout of the beach a little bit.


Here is something else I had never seen before a mobile bank. It was parked along the backside of the beach. I know I am a small town girl and all but who knew these things even existed? Not me. But, how convenient. Renting an umberella is 5,000 won and renting an inter-tube is at least the same or maybe even a little bit more. So, if you run short of cash you can just dash of the the insta-bank.


I saw this cute little Korean boy who was all alone on the beach beside this washed up fish trap. He had a bottle which he was filling with sea water and pouring it out on the beach. It was such a peaceful scene and one that I am sure is repeated by children all over the world.


Leaving the beach I walked left past the pine woods and found the harbour. It was so quiet and peaceful looking at the boats moared and just looking out to sea.

1 comment:

  1. I go to that beach often during the summer. My son loves it there...!

    Cheers

    Patrick, currently in Canada, resident of Busan since 1997

    ReplyDelete